Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 20:30:00 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone on the list who can check-in the bt848 driver?

Hi,

> I might be all wet here, but I think that the kernel only calls the
> driver's close routine when the *last* reference to the open device
> is closed.  It's been awhile since I've hacked device driver code, but
> I think this was the case a while ago.
>
> This may be a good reason to use a seperate (minor) device to control

as I just posted a few minutes ago, you're exactly right.  I am currently
testing a hack where I just let additional opens happen, seems to work ok.
We really do need the minor device.  I see several programs wanting to
open the board at once.  In addition to the xtvremote, you might have
an audio mixer app for your soundcard that would want to open the bt848 board
and control the audio section.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by