Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:35:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Adaptec 1542 wont pass 'Host adapter diagnostics' on AP5T

Hi,
  I've recently purchased an new AOPen AP5T-3.4 motherboard.  I'd
previously been running on a PCI 486DX100 with Adaptec 1542CF (BIOS v2.10)
with no problems running the Adaptec BIOS "host adapter" DMA tests.
  Everything seems fine with it. I've had it running for quite sometime,
with absolutely no problems under FreeBSD. Win95 has been as good as it
gets, but I was trying to use Adaptec Backup, that comes with EZSCSI, to
backup my Win95 partitions (anyone know a SCSI tar for win95?). However,
Adaptec Backup complained of an "invalid command" being received from my
HP1533A tape drive. I checked cables and termination and found nothing
wrong. Then I remembered I'd not actually ran the "host adapter
diagnostics" test on my 1542CF. I had made sure the IRQ & DMA channel were
set to "Legacy ISA" in the AOpen BIOS. I can try any speed even down to
the lowest 3.3Mb/s with same result. It generally fails at address
0x90d20. Tried adding more 16bit ISA wait states, turning off ROM
shadowing in BIOS (I know their should be no ROM there), changing my
2x32Mb SDRAM for 2x16Mb SIMMs that I used with the 486 motherboard (and
work okay on the AOpen), trying different ISA slots and trying another
known working Adaptec 1540CF (BIOS v2.01) all with no joy.
  I've been working with Adaptec controllers for years and can't see why
this is happening. Is the "Host diagnostic" DMA test misleading me? I can
seem no problems at all under FreeBSD. I've recompiled the whole OS many
times (completely thrashing drive and system for 2hrs), done backups and
restores using tar to the tape drive. What's up here?
  TIA

Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel:	+44 161 295 5936	Fax:	+44 161 295 5888
Email:	M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk	finger mark@ucsalf.ac.uk (for PGP key)
NO SPAM please: Spell salford correctly to reply to me.