Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 02:32:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Stone <jason@shalott.net>
To:        Chest Rockwell <cdgaming@msn.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New BSD user with a couple Qs

> I've read a couple docs on how to secure my machine.  I just installed
> 4.4 stable.  I turned off pretty much everything except for ftp(users
> only, no anon) and ssh.

FTP is totally insecure as it sends all data in the clear - many attacks
start by sniffing user passwords out of ftp sessions and then using local
exploits to get root.  Consider using sftp, the secure ftp-like
alternative that comes with ssh.  From the unix commandline, it works just
like ftp, and for windows clients, CuteFTP, Secure iXplorer, and others
support it - just change the port from 21 to 22.

If you must use plain ftp, consider using opie passwords instead of plain
passwords.  Opie calculators exist for pretty much every platform, and
some gui clients even have builtin support for it (Fetch for the Mac comes
to mind).  "man opie" for details.

> I am a little familiar with redhat and remember editing my hosts.deny
> file so that it locked out everyone except for my home and work
> machines.  I think that I need to edit the /etc/rc.firewall file.  Is
> this a good idea to deny everyone except for a few users and how would
> I do that?

FreeBSD also supports tcpwrappers-style access lists in /etc/hosts.allow,
but using ipfw firewalling rules is probablly a better idea, as this will
prevent, for example, buffer overflows, whereas tcpwrappers will not.

I reccommend against editing /etc/rc.firewall, as this will create
conflicts when you upgrade via cvsup (see below).  I prefer to set all my
firewall rules in a separate file.  For example, my /etc/rc.conf contains:
#------------------------------#
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_logging="YES"
firewall_type="/etc/ipfw.conf"
#------------------------------#
And then I have my ipfw rules in /etc/ipfw.conf:

add deny tcp from any to any 111
add deny udp from any to any 111
add deny tcp from any to any 1023
add deny udp from any to any 1023

etc....

> I'm running 4.4 stable.  Is that good enough or should I get the 4.5
> release?
>
> Do I need to upgrade/update any files or do anything else to secure
> the machine?  If so, could you send me a good link or give me some
> help please?

You definitely should upgrade.  To upgrade to 4.5-stable, install the
cvsup package, edit /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and change
the line "*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org" to
"*default host=cvsup9.FreeBSD.org" and then run
"cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile" to update your
source tree.  Finally, rebuild the user-space with something like
"cd /usr/src && make world"  You should also rebuild the kernel and
use mergemaster to clean up your /etc files - check out the handbook for
more help with that.

 -Jason

 I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's
 too young to have logged on yet.  Here's what I worry about.  I worry
 that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say "Daddy, where
 were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?"
	-- Mike Godwin