Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 16:18:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>
Cc:        "Barrett G. Lyon" <blyon@theshell.com>, David Bushong <david@bushong.net>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC7892 / Adaptec 29160

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Chuck Robey wrote:

>I've been watching this thread *very* closely, because I've been unable to
>get my new IBM ultra160 drive to boot using the 29160.  I'd thought that
>maybe it was a thing that would be fixed by using an IBM-supplied utility
>to zero the disk, but that's not been the case.  I'm reluctantly ready to
>try another controller now.

This is quite frustrating to me.  I've never been very impressed with
Tekram's offerings or Mylex's scsi-only(buslogic) range.  I've always
bought Adaptec because they always seem to just work.  I can't fathom
what could be so different about this card.  It's still a 78xx series
chip.  The same revision of the ahc driver runs flawlessly on my onboard
AIC7895s and my AHA2940U 32-bit PCI cards which are in most of my
equipment.  This motherboard and the 29160 I've got are the first two
U160 products I've ever bought.  I don't even have U160 drives hooked up
to them.  This is with standard LVD 80 equipment I'm seeing these
problems.  It can't be a problem with the recent addition of U160 speeds
then.  I'm gonna try some current snaps tomorrow and see if they help.
If not, would the ahc hackers tell me what info they need from the
machine to debug the problem?  If this drags out too long I may have to
just return the machine and look for something with a different 78xx
revision but before I do I'd at least like to get the developers some
good info.  Let me know.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying