Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2017 22:14:57 -0400
From:      Steve Wills <steve@mouf.net>
To:        Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>, ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed: net/rubygem-grpc

--trKAirUXhwCL0PQImGtK06LgRrPcdTPh8
From: Steve Wills <steve@mouf.net>
To: Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>, ruby@freebsd.org
Cc: Matthias Fechner <idefix@fechner.net>

--4c7t2mW0vfqJoak7twWDC6XbK1ajV84Le

Hi,

I was taking a look at this. It looks like several things are going on.
As you noticed, it's going to have to use gmake, you can patch the
extconf.rb for that. But then you run into other issues. It's expecting
a pkg-config file for openssl, which we don't have for the openssl in
base (src). I think this is the only thing in base lacking a .pc file.
We will have to patch the Makefile for that. It would be best not to use
any of the bundled things and instead use the versions from ports. I
noticed there's a newer version, 1.4.0, but it has the same issues. Will
the newer gitlab work with the 1.4.0 version of the grpc gem?

Steve