Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:56:16 +0100
From:      Joachim Fehn <Joachim.Fehn@fujitsu-siemens.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 20040214 snapshot available on ftp2.freebsd.org :-))

Hi,
the kernel came up!

On Thursday 19 February 2004 18:54, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 03:10:11PM +0100, Joachim Fehn wrote:
[snip]
> > 1. Installation created a gpt disk label and completed. When rebooting,
> > neither the EFI boot manager, nor the EFI built in shell could access a
> > slice/partition on the disk. The loader was not found.
> The loader is installed in the EFI system partition, as well as the kernel.
formatting problem, see below

> > 2. I created an msdos slice with fat32, using ia64-Linux. Unlike 5.1, the
> > snapshot didn't offer the wanted disk, but only the 3rd disk. I see no
> > way to prepare the wanted disk, that the installation will go there.
> Note that if the disk has a MBR, it will not be accepted. Make sure you
> didn't create a MBR with the Linux tool. The best thing to do is to make
> the disk truely empty, which boils down to clobbering sectors 0 and 1.
After clobbering, the disk was offered again.

The problem was, that the EFI partition was not formatted.
Probably another problem was, that I created the EFI partition as the first
one.

I played a little with partitioning and saw sometimes an error message, that
the efi partition could not be mounted. Only once I saw the "newfs_msdos"
message for some time. I prepared the partitioning within the 5.2 snapshot
installation, then formatted all partions under my old 5.1, then I started
the installation again and provided the proper mount points to the
preformatted partitions.

The default partition table was not suitable. It didn't provide an EFI
partition and the file system was full before the installation finished.
I succeeded with that partition table:
Part      Mount          Size Newfs
----      -----          ---- -----
da1p1     /            1024MB UFS2   Y
da1p2     swap         5120MB SWAP
da1p3     /var         6144MB UFS2+S Y
da1p4     /tmp         7168MB UFS2+S Y
da1p5     /usr         7168MB UFS2+S Y
da1p6     /opt         7168MB UFS2+S Y
da1p7     /efi          940MB EFI   Y
Mounting the EFI partition as /boot failed.

When the system started, I had to specify, where from to mount the root file
system. When it came up, most of the partitions including swap were not
mounted.
# mount
da1p1 on / (ufs, local, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/da1p7 on /efi (msdosfs, local)
# cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/da1p7              /efi            msdosfs rw              0       0
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
# pstat -s
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
#

FYI

Joachim

PS. I'm on holiday for a week