Date:      22 Jan 2001 18:15:24 -0500
From:      Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall.8 Breaking buildworld

"David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com> writes:
>On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 02:38:55PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
>> Erm, sysinstall can be used as a replacement for fdisk and disklabel,
>> both of which are in /sbin.  In fact, in 4.2 the only tool you can
>> realistically use to splat a virgin disklabel onto a slice w/o weird
>> hoop jumping that isn't documented _is_ sysinstall.  disklabel should
>> have that fixed by 4.3, however.
>
>But disklabel/fdisk can't even accept MB's as a unit.  Until they grow
>the functionality of the NetBSD and OpenBSD versions of them, sysinstall
>is really the only tolerable disk label manipulation tool our users have.
>This includes those with a bummed /usr that needs to install a new disk
>to get it back.

        A full set of disklabel patches to support MB, GB, KB, %, and *
(everything not spoken for elsewhere) for sizes (and * for offsets to allow
disklabel to calculate them for you), etc are in Warner's hands.  (I got
annoyed at it one evening...) Now, if Warner would commit them....  :-)
(Matt has looked at the patch also.)

        They also have improved error checking, etc.

--
Randell Jesup, Worldgate Communications, ex-Scala, ex-Amiga OS team ('88-94)
rjesup@wgate.com