Date:      Thu, 22 Dec 94 10:02:42 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        burg@burg.is.ge.com (Dick van den Burg)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bidirectional ports ?

> > Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 23:37:45 +1100
> > From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
> > Cc: hackers@freebsd.org
> >
> > >Yes, of course getty has /dev/ttyd0 open. That is exactly the problem.
> > >How can I start a getty without without it opening the device?
> >
> > Don't have carrier present when there is no connection.  Then getty will
> > block while opening the device and "ps lax" will show /usr/libexec/[getty]
> > sleeping on "siodcd".
> >
> Thanks, I am slowly getting there. My one problem is that the getty does not
> die, once the modem has picked up the phone (no carrier, just call in, and
> hang up the phone). The wait state changes to ttyin. When I kill the getty
> it changes to sciodtr and when I power the modem on/off it goes back to
> sciodcd.

The wait state should not change unless you have an off-to-on DCD signal
change from the modem.

Probably the modem is still set up incorrectly (ie: to raise DCD when
offhook instead of when carrier is present).

>  How can I get the getty to die after I hang up the phone?

Don't wake it up in the first place, by way of setting up the modem to
only raise DCD when carrier is present.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---