Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2019 07:54:39 +0100
From:      Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No association with WPA2 wireless lan sometimes (11.2)

Christian Barthel <bch@online.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am using FreeBSD 11.2 on a Thinkpad X230 (dmesg attached).  I am using
> a WPA2 wireless lan with iwn and wpa_supplicant.conf. This configuration
> works very well - sometimes.  But at other times, I can't associate with
> the access point and I don't understand the reason why it fails.
>
> I've tested this with iwn0/wlan0 and attached a verbose log
> (wpa.debug.iwn0.txt) while wpa_supplicant tried to authenticate.  I
> don't know why the authentication timed out?  Other clients (Android,
> Linux) are working.  Attached is also the "ifconfig wlan0 list scan"
> listing.

To follow-up for other readers:  I've set the bssid= option in
wpa_supplicant.conf  to forcibly connect to the 5GHz wireless
lan.  This works much better and it turns out that other devices
automatically switched to the 5GHz band.  I thought that leaving
out the bssid option would also switch automatically but that did
not work so well.

I am still wondering why the 2.4GHz band is not working anymore
but I don't have access to the AP itself (it looks like there are
no interfering APs except this one; but perhaps, something else
is causing it trouble).

--
Christian Barthel <bch@online.de>