Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 05:59:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      attila! <attila@hun.org>
To:        FreeBSD-CURRENT <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   major problems with Sunday's Adaptec changes

    System and kernel slice at 1200 GMT 30 Sep 2002 where
    the log showed a whole series of changes to the Adaptec
    drivers: kernel came up, ran for a few minutes, then
    hung.  hard rebooting, it went as far as declaring the
    two 160MB/sec 'da' drives, then hung. It did several of
    both faults until I moved back to the 29 Sep 1200 GMT
    slice kernel.  in both types it literally froze the
    system with no display on the console.

    Sorry I did not report it at 1600 when it stalled during
    boot, I just backtracked 24 hours and went on with other
    projects.

    I'll pull another full slice at 1200 GMT 01 Oct and try it
    if there are changes to the SCSI drivers.

    also, hints became ineffective on SCSI drivers on the 26
    Sep 1200 GMT slice.

    ...and, I can not use both channels of the dual aic789
    on the Tyan 2642 SMP --installed a TekRam DC395U to
    cover the slow devices --the aic789 worked at least
    until Jan, then went away; I'll document the multitude
    of variations I tried to get both channels of the aic789
    to work in the morning --too tired tonight.

  --
  Sanity is the Playground for the Unimaginative