Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 2013 11:32:29 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        "Pascal Braun, Continum" <pascal.braun@continum.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS crashing while zfs recv in progress

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 4:04 AM, Pascal Braun, Continum
<pascal.braun@continum.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to send a zfs pool from an old freebsd 9.0 installation to a n=
ew machine with freebsd 9.1. The pool is quite heavy (about 16TB, lots of s=
napshots) and the receiving side keeps crashing on me. The command used to =
transfer (run on the old 9.0 installation):
> zfs send -R tank@snapshot | ssh 10.10.xx.xx zfs recv -F -d -v tank
>

> After a few hours the system stops all writing and I can't start any new =
processes. Processes still running like 'zpool iostat' are still working, o=
r at least it is still reporting something. To me it looks like the filesys=
tem just disappeared. Unfortunately I'm running root on zfs so I don't have=
 any logs about this.
> The only message I sometimes find on the console are about not being able=
 to write to swap, which is also on zfs.

This could be where your problem is happening.  While you can create a
swap vol on ZFS, that swap vol also requires available memory from the
system to perform the swap.  As was suggested, try using a dedicated
disk / partition as your swap volume.