Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:00:28 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Howard Leadmon <howard@leadmon.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating from 9.2 to 10.0-BETA3 Issues..

--xacgbSgOK0e4lVoqDNRBTAqV3V2S5cusQ

On 11/14/13 07:29, Howard Leadmon wrote:
>  OK, adding in compat9x did allow it to build mysql, and hopefully the =
rest,
> time will tell.   I guess the part that somewhat stumps me, is if I am =
just
> building a port fresh like mysql, why does it need the old compatibilit=
> libs to build it fresh.   Does some of this stuff require gcc libs, or =
I am
> missing something in the process.  =20

It seems you have build tools like cmake that link against 9.x
libraries.  Ideally you should rebuild your build tools before you
rebuild the things use them to build.

>  On the package stuff, I did load he functions, as I found out the hard=
 way
> that without running pkg2ng I ended up with all my ports missing.    Al=
so I
> saw Thomas's not about running portmaster, and I have always used
> portupgrade is that still ok under 10.x, or does it require portmaster =
> function?

Both portmaster and portupgrade are compatible with pkg(8), and you can
certainly carry on using them in pretty much the same way as you always
did.  There is a missing bit of functionality with portmaster in that it
won't itself install from pkgs on a pkgngized system.  Patches welcome!

	Cheers,

	Matthew