Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 05:46:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes), karl@mcs.com, current@freebsd.org, peter@haywire.DIALix.COM, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SUP target for -STABLE, and setup for SUP info?

> I guess that -STABLE isn't.

Well, perhaps we were overly optimistic with the naming; I think
"stabilizing" is a better description since we're obviously not
really going to be happy with its stability until we've reached
the point where 2.1 can be released, and that's still a month or
two away.  A lot can happen in that time.

> I get the same silent hang on the 1742 machine that I get on the other
> releases, and we've added a panic in biodone to the mix.  The 2742 driver
> problems are not addressed in -STABLE either.

We needed to shake this out in -current a little longer before bringing
it across.  I'll ask Justin what his plans for this code are.

> This is getting frustrating, and I'm running out of time and patience.
> Perhaps this isn't the path we want to go down with our operating system
> choice.
>
> I'm going to give this another week of effort, and if we don't have it
> stable by then I'm tossing in the towel and going to start on the evaluation
> process again from scratch.  This is costing me far too much sleep.

I understand.  Please do also understand that we are doing everything
we can to work with you on this and don't have many people who are
actually paid to do this kind of work.  Progress is therefore
constrained by whatever free time the members have to devote to it.

If do we manage to get these problems worked out for you before you
pull the ejection handle, perhaps it's time to think about moving
FreeBSD Inc's support-for-money plans forward.  If I could afford to
hire just ONE serious systems hacker to look into problems like this
full-time, it would be a significant help.  We just need to figure out
how willing the various commercial users like yourself are to to
underwrite such an effort.

This also isn't an attempt on my part to put the screws to anyone,
this is simply an honest assessment of our current state affairs.  I
would love to be able to throw someone at your problem full-time, but
that's a luxury I don't really have with a volunteer crew, nor can I
expect people to jump at the crack of a whip.  This is problem that
isn't going to go away and will, in fact, only get worse as more
commercial interests move to FreeBSD.  I would welcome your (or anyone
else's) suggestions.

					Jordan