Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:05:50 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Igor Pokrovsky <igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr>, Don Bowman <don@sandvine.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support of SMBus on ICH3

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 03:46:34PM +0200, Igor Pokrovsky wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 09:40:50AM -0400, Don Bowman wrote:
>=20
> Thank you Don!

Thanks for the pointer! Found it on page 9-24, acroread page 312
in the ICH3-M datasheet (intel pn 290716-001).

> >  ... ich3 smbus not showing up in pciconf output ...
> >=20
> > see p297 of ICH3 datasheet [intel pn 290733-002], FUNC_DIS register.=20
> >=20
> > pciconf -r -h 0:31:0
> >=20
> > shows the value.
> > clear bit '3'.
> >=20
> > bit 0 should be either set or cleared :) I suspect it should be clear.
> >=20
> > this datasheet is on intel's website.
>=20
> # pciconf -r -h 0:31:0 00
> 0x00008086
> # pciconf -r -h 0:31:0 02
> 0x0000248c

No, this is not the SMBus controller, this is the '82801CAM LPC Interface
or ISA Bridge'. Don was missing the address of the FUNC_DIS register, 0xf2:

[stijn@pounce] <~> sudo pciconf -r -h 0:31:0 0xf2
8609

which is in binary

1000011000001001

which shows that bit 3 is not set counting either way :(

However, being bold and setting the register to 0x0000 does show some
signs of activity:

[stijn@pounce] <~> sudo piconf -w -h pci0:31:0 0xf2 0
[stijn@pounce] <~> sudo piconf -r -h pci0:31:3 0
8086
[stijn@pounce] <~> sudo piconf -r -h pci0:31:3 2
2483

Which is ID_82801CA.

So how do I set this permanently? What determines the initial value
of this register? It doesn't survive a reboot :( Admittedly I'm in
above my head now.

--Stijn

--=20
The sexual urge of the camel is stranger than anyone thinks.
He's lived for years on the desert, and tried to seduce the Sphinx.
But the Sphinxs center of pleasure lies buried deep in the Nile,
which accounts for the hump on the camel and the Sphinxs inscrutable smile.
		-- Frantic Fran, http://www.franticfran.com/jokes.htm

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP

--VBq/nvTu32OVLBUP--