Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 10:46:56 +0100
From:      Ron Klinkien <root@zappa.demon.nl>
To:        Clarence_Griffin@ed.gov
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with HP LJ configuration

On Fri, Nov 13, 1998 at 12:59:15PM -0800, Doug White wrote:

Hello,

Simply configure your lp mechanism
to send the right esc codes to the printer for LF->CR+LF conversion before the
jobs gets sends.

Do this:

cp /usr/share/examples/printing/hpof /usr/local/libexec
chmod 555 /usr/local/libexec/hpof

vi /etc/printcap

and put an entry like this into it:
--- cut ---
hp6p|My HP6P printer:\
        :sh:of=/usr/local/libexec/hpof:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
--- cut ---

Now lp -d hp6p /etc/hosts will look ok.
Don't redirect to a port but use the lp commands to print/spool.

Ron.

> On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Clarence Griffin wrote:
>

> >      I just ran the "lptest > .dev.lpt0" command and the LazerJet II
> >      attached to the serial port is printing one line of text at the top of
> >      each page, and then cycling to a new page.
>
> You've just experienced the famous HP 'stairstepping' problem. By default
> HP printers are set up to require CR/LF as an end-of-line indication,
> while UNIX just sends CR.
>
> There is either jumper settings or an escape code in your manual that will
> change the EOL setting.  I don't know what it is for the LJII off the top
> of my head.
>
> Doug White
> Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
> http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | www.freebsd.org

---
Running Solaris/SPARC at work, enjoying FreeBSD/PII at home.

Ron Klinkien			System Engineer
ron@zappa.demon.nl		http://www.zappa.demon.nl