Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:00:08 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Link speed on an SDSL provisioned T1

Ryan wrote:
> OK, this a little far from the theoretical maximum of 1572 Kb/sec.
> (which I never expect to reach ;-) However, as I mentioned above, this is
> link speed over _TCP_.  Figure in the TCP protocol overhead, as well as
> overhead introduced by frame headers, and the recommended number is about
> 12% overhead.  (Or 88% of the physical link speed).  Thus, 1572 Kb/sec
> looks more like 1367 Kb/sec for a maximum.

I've personally seen 168KB/s (1344 Kb/s) and a co-worker of mine has seen
171KB/s (1368 KB/s). I've also had Netscape tell me I was downloading
StarOffice at 133KB/s, 55KB/s, and 55KB/s (simulaneous). I wonder why I
don't believe it?

> I found that the street distance over our flat city between my ISP and our
> office is about 5,900ft (1,800m).  I had thought that this would be well
> within range for a full 1.5Mbps.  I suppose it is possible that the wire
> distance is much greater than this, but I have no way to confirm or deny
> that.  I believe our telco likes bridged taps. ;-)

My telco cut my line when they were pulling new cable. Efficient, no?

> In any case, how cheated should I feel about only attaining 1Mbps as
> opposed to 1.5?

Well, if you're paying for a T1, you should be getting a T1. Anything less
is unacceptable.

> So, besides moving next door to the ISP and stringing UTP through the
> windows, is there anything that can be done to break out of this 1.04Mbps
> limit?

Wireless (Optical, Microwave, etc). You might be able to do it for less
than wire. The costs get a little more significant when you involve
amplifiers. ($200 radio, $900 amp.)

-----
<kris@nospam.catonic.net>   |