Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:20:42 +0200
From:      Nico Meijer <nico.meijer@zonnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iptables

Hi Taulant,

> but there's another problem :)

Of course there is. ;-)

> every command that I'm trying to use it says:
> ipfw: getsockopt(IP_FW_GET): Protocol not available
> I don't know if there's anything that I should install first and than
> use IPFW

Yes, you need to build a custom kernel.

Suggestion: copy /usr/src/sys/[arch]/conf/GENERIC to ~/MYKERNEL (your
regular user's homedir); in /usr/src/sys/[arch]/conf issue "ln -s
~/MYKERNEL". Now you can edit your kernel config logged in as your
regular user.

You don't want to run around as root if you don't have to, so get sudo
up and running.

Edit MYKERNEL, add:

options IPFIREWALL  # required for IPFW
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE  # optional; logging
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=10  # optional; don't get too many log
entries
options IPDIVERT # needed for natd

See the Handbook for building that kernel. I don't know if the
buildkernel/installkernel sequence works if you have only installed the
kernel source.

HTH... Nico

P.S. Read the Handbook. Do it now. It is good for you. :-)