Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2011 09:11:19 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan.junaidi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maximum gif(4) interfaces

Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan.junaidi@gmail.com> writes:

> I need to build a system that need to terminate a number of 6-in-4 and 4-in-4 tunnels.
>
> Can someone point me to a direction, with gif auto-cloning and on GENERIC, what is the maximum number of gif interfaces/tunnels that can be supported?
>
> I'm on 8.2.

The implementation is in src/sys/net/if_gif.c.

There is no absolute limit to the number of cloned interfaces.  They are
stored in a linked list (as are interfaces as a whole), so having large
numbers of them could be a performance issue in some cases.  I would
guess that such cases would mostly involve having high rates of tunnel
creation and destruction, but you would have to test to be sure.