Date:      Thu, 28 May 2015 09:14:49 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <guy.helmer@gmail.com>
To:        Marcelo Gondim <gondim@bsdinfo.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.3 - Intel X520-SR2 stops passing packets

> On May 26, 2015, at 9:37 AM, Marcelo Gondim <gondim@bsdinfo.com.br> =
wrote:
>=20
> On 23-05-2015 15:14, Babak Farrokhi wrote:
>> Look at the interrupts per queue. 500,000 is the maximum and it is =
the
>> reason your interface is not accepting new packets.
>>=20
>>> Guy Helmer <mailto:guy.helmer@gmail.com>
>>> May 21, 2015 at 6:03 PM
>>> I=E2=80=99ve noticed that there have been reports of problems with =
Intel
>>> X520-SR2 network interfaces stopping working. I think I=E2=80=99m =
seeing a
>>> similar issue where the 10Gb interfaces stop receiving traffic
>>> (they=E2=80=99re being used in promiscuous mode to sniff traffic =
from a tap).
>>> ifconfig shows the interfaces are still active and the links are OK.
>>> ifconfig down/up restores activity. I=E2=80=99ve changed
>>> hw.intr_storm_threshold=3D8000 but I couldn=E2=80=99t tell if the =
interrupt
>>> storm threshold had been triggered at the time the interfaces =
stopped
>>> passing traffic.
>>>=20
>>> Output from sysctl:
>>>=20
>>> . . .
>>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> I had this problem and one day updated the system 10.1- RELEASE to =
10.1- STABLE and the problem stopped. I was one years with this problem =
and a script running and testing the interface when the interface =
stopped working I was doing exactly what you did. Today I no longer have =
that problem anymore.
>=20
> I'm using 10.1-STABLE r281235

Thanks for the indication of success with 10.1-STABLE. I am locked into =
using FreeBSD 9.x until I can go through the whole integration and =
acceptance testing cycle for 10.x, so I=E2=80=99m trying to find a =
solution that works on in 9.x. I have reviewed the diffs between 9.3 and =
10.1-STABLE for ixgbe driver and haven=E2=80=99t noticed anything that =
stands out.

Regards,
Guy=