Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:21:33 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, wollman@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bug in setsockopt()... ?

>Well, this thread is making me somewhat nervous.  Being really new to the
>whole FreeBSD world, I don't know where, or how, to check this 'whiteboard.'
>Can anyone point me to a list of the bugs in the ipc functions?  Who are the
>people working on them?  What kind of help do they need?  Can I try to abuse
>some of the fixes for them?  Needless to say, if I'm going to write my book
>and use FreeBSD as the base os for my source, I have a somewhat vested
>interest in ensuring the os works.  And more than that, ensure it is
>compatible with the other flavors of unix.
>
>Thanks for any pointers/help you can pass along...

   All operating systems have bugs. The setsockopt for SO_RCVBUF/SO_SNDBUF
was broken (I think) when Path MTU Discovery was implemented about a year
ago. It will be fixed - hopefully soon, but you should just document how
it is supposed to work and forget about the bugs.
   As for access to people's whiteboards, well, mine is hanging on my wall and
changes all the time. I don't have an electronic version (and don't intend to
create one). It currently has things on it such as "telnetd ptcout hang" and
"ix driver panic", but most of the items only mean something to me.

-DG

David Greenman