Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 20:17:55 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, Robert Lipe <robertl@sco.com>
Subject:   Re: UDI environment now released.

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > The differences are still there, and it's usually soo tough to get
> > companies to provide drivers for FreeBSD. Yeah IBM GPL'd some
> > winmodems, no one has mentioned a FreeBSD port...
> >
> > Although the issue might be political, UDI might be the way to finally
> > get over the "designed only for windows ..and sometimes other OSs"
> > type of hardware.
> >
> > Special kudos to Robert Lipe for recognizing the value the FreeBSD
> > community can have in the adoption of new, truly open, standards!
>
> I'll repeat what I've said before: "Over my dead body".

As a native interface no, but I think that as an auxhiliary interface to
allow us to run third party drivers it's a very valuable service..

Thanks you Robert!

Robert, Don't let the negaive comments get you down. The
UDI driver service is valued,at least by me and I'm sure by many others
too!

Consider the  negative comments to be just that... 'comments'
and I'm sure that even the authors of most of these comments
will say that over-all they are happier that you did
this than not at all. (Even if they have doubts about UDI)

> -matt

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001