Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:49:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new IPFW

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > I've finally sat myself down to take the first step in getting the new
> > IPFW done.  I'll start by listing some of the different ideas I've had,
> ... [and lots more good stuff cut to make this short and to the point]...
>
> > And this would be the object-oriented architecture part.
> >
> > I'm going to wrap this up since I'm up quite late (well, only 1:30, but
> > I'm still a growing person...), and I don't want to start to get too
> > incoherent.  Thank you for your time and attention with my IPFW ideas,
> > and please send comments and ideas to me;  heck, I'd love to start
> > a long discussion about this, so we can flesh everything out :)
>
> Have you looked at or though about using the bpf routines in the
> kernel?  bpf match rules are very powerful, compile to some pretty
> fast code, and the code is already written, and it knows about a lot
> more than just IP.
>
> After all, they are probably the ``oldest'' set of filter routines
> we have, they have just never been reused to do firewall type stuff
> with.  The fcode engine even has a jump, though all jumps must be
> forward in the fcode, but this is no more restrictive than the current
> firewall rule ``skipto'' operation.

iThen there is a reference that Garret Wollman pointed out some time ago.
a package at MIT called 'DPF'

Very cool..
incorporated into the Exokernel.

Unfortunatly it uses an in-kernel incremental machine instruction
generator so it wouldn't be very portable, however it is apparently
blazingly fast.
I envision a combination of the structure of ipfw with the
compiled speed of DPF.
in other th packet falls through an IPFW branching structure until it hits
a DPF filter which produces an outcome.