Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 00:01:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Jason Scott <freepix@sirius.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SCSI Drive - Device not configured

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Jason Scott wrote:

> Yes, I left the first drive as 0 and made the second drive as 1, I
> believe.  The Adaptec controller finds them both.  Anything else it might be?

It still might be a termination issue; this is not the same thing as the
SCSI ID number, which is what you're talking about with the 0 and 1.
The SCSI bus needs to be terminated by a resistive load at the end of
the cable. This is usually part of the disk drive.

You need to make sure the termination jumper or resistor network is
installed/switched on only on the last drive. That's *physically* last,
i.e. farthest away from the controller card. The remaining drive(s)
should be left unterminated. Most modern drives will have a single
jumper that does this. See your drive's instruction sheet for details,
or visit the manufacturer's web site.

[snip]

> At 10:45 AM 1/13/90 -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:

[snip]

> > > cp: /homes2/ps/data/avs/hotpnl/secret/ppp9: Device not configured

[snip]

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape