Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:10:10 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libstdc++

> On 11 Jan, 2017, at 13:56, Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org> wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>=20
>>> I want to install "aspell", and it wants "libstdc++.so.6".  All I =
can=20
>>> find under ports is /usr/ports/lang/libstdc++_stldoc_4.2.2, which=20
>>> seems to be documentation only.  Is the port for the library itself=20=

>>> available, to make "aspell" happy?  Or is it one of those silly GNU=20=

>>> things are aren't allowed to be distributed under another licence?
>>=20
>> You said in a prior message that you'd put 9.x libraries into your=20
>> system. That's quite far from being a supported operation and it will=20=

>> lead to failures.
>=20
> Not all of them, no; only the ones needed to support stuff like Alpine=20=

> which won't build on 10.3 due to its schizophrenic view of OpenSSL=20
> (maintainer contacted, but no reply); I explained this in another =
thread.
>=20
>> Assuming that you have installed everything from packages, you can=20
>> upgrade and reinstall all of them with "pkg upgrade -f". Remove all=20=

>> those 9.x libraries that you installed and run that command.
>=20
> I prefer to install from ports, to get the options I want rather than=20=

> someone else's opinion of what I might want...
>=20
>> If you're getting packages with the wrong ABI, have you changed =
anything=20
>> in /etc/pkg/ or /usr/local/etc/pkg/?
>=20
> Haven't touched them, because I don't know what they are...

Okay. So what command did you use to rebuild all your ports? You won't =
really be able install anything new until you've rebuilt everything. =
Everything.

I'm not aware of any problems building alpine on 10.3. I do see a typo =
in its OpenSSL handling and I'll fix that shortly.

If you keep running into headaches upgrading in-place, you should really =
switch to poudriere. Even if you get stuff working, you should really =
switch to poudriere. See =
https://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-poudriere.html for how to get up =
and running with it.

# Adam