Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 19:55:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        asmodai@bart.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven)
Cc:        jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com (Jaime Kikpole), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Merging 2 servers?

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote,
> -On [19991212 19:50], Jaime Kikpole (jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com) wrote:
> >	So what would you folks recommend?  I've been considering
> >replacing the staff's server with a modest computer with RAID and more
> >RAM.  But I know that NIS would simplify my user maintenance.  I just
> >don't know if its usable here.  The newer server (i.e. the "student"
> >server) has far more RAM and CPU power than it needs, but not enough disk
> >space for the staff to be added to it.  Specifically, it has 1152MB of
> >RAM, an external 9.1GB SCSI HD for booting, an internal 4HD x 9.1GB
> >RAID-5 array (total 27GB of usable space) for /home, and a Pentium-III
> >600MHz with an empty second slot.  The students get 5MB to 15MB each,
> >depending on what classes they take.  The staff should really get about
> >100-150MB of disk space so that they can collect assignments from their
> >students.
> >
> >	Does anyone have any advise about NIS, NFS, keeping two servers
> >but replacing one, adding RAID (and booting from it, preferably) to the
> >older server, or any other possible improvement?
>
> NIS really is a handy tool for ease of administrating.  I just wonder
> if, in your two server set-up, it isn't overkill.
>
> If you want to use NFS, make sure you move that 3.0-R box to something
> more 3.3-STABLE, or even 3.4-RC since there have been fixed quite some
> annoyances with NFS.

Before you even consider NIS or NFS, I think you need to think about
your security model. I would guess every student in the building does
not physically use these machines, but rather there is some LAN the
teachers and students connect too? With NIS/NFS, if one host on the
network is comprimised... Game over. Or if some bright pre-teen brings
in a laptop and plugs it in to the LAN, they gotcha. Want students to
be able to read each others' mail or *gasp* the teachers' mail and
files? (And do you really trust all of those teachers too? ;)

> But what is exactly the situation you are wanting to go to?  Are you
> looking for a more centralised means of administration?  That isn't
> clear to me (then again my mind is foggy due to my cold).

I agree that we need a little more info about your entire network
archtecture and your goals. But we'd love to show-off^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
help you with your problem.