Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 1997 18:11:56 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: intercepting vat (or other rtp) traffic

Luigi Rizzo scribbled this message on Sep 6:
> > Does it have to be vat?  Can you use rat (assuming it's stable enough
> > yet)?
>
> source for rat is not generally available and cannot be redistributed.
> in any case what I want to do is completely independent from the
> application that's why I am going for #2

how about the -U option to vat?  from vat's man page:
       -U     Use  the  unix-domain  stream  socket  specified by
              socket for audio I/O.  Some process should bind  to
              and  listen  on this socket before vat is run.  The
              data is raw 8khz mulaw samples.   If  socket  is  a
              number,  then  AudioFile is used.  The number indi-
              cates the corresponding AudioFile device.

the other option might be to use divert sockets...  divert all the
vat/audio traffic to your process.. do the processing or forwarding
then use the dirver socket to reinsert the packets into the network
stream...

> > > 1) patch the network module of vat and intercept traffic there;
> > > 2) program vat to use 127.0.0.1 and let my program talk to vat
> > >    using the same address. My program would basically do address
> > >    translation in both directions.

ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD