Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:58:24 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        William Carrel <william.carrel@infospace.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Change to Bind 9

Hello William,

>> you might consider moving to djbdns (http://cr.yp.to) instead.
>> it's better.
>> and in the ports.
> When hell freezes over probably.

Then it will be integrated into FreeBSD, ACK. But that doesn't matter
for the most people here as they are able to install it themselves.

> Neverminding the unreadibility of DJB's source code and his poor
> attitude toward others, djbdns requires a whole suite of other
> tools that DJB's written to operate properly.  Because normal
> services aren't quite good enough for him.

I can't really say it's a bad thing to ditch inetd in favor of
tcpserver for qmail.

> There is also a licensing issue.  DJB licenses his code in such a
> way that it is impossible to make changes to it and distribute it
> without violating his license.

Actually, that's what I dislike most about the djb stuff. It's rock
stable software (if you got it to work what sometimes take some time)
but it ain't made for the mass market due to the licensing issue.
None the less, if I were asked to sell mail servers, I'd use qmail
and
simply build it when the system boots for the first time.

> make it support new and interesting things.  People can't
> distribute packages of these things without incurring the wrath of
> Dan.

Actually, I prefer the diffs so I can use the patches I like, not the
ones the package maintainer thought would be good for me (the
tarpitting patch for qmail is such an example, really nice).

> So no, it probably won't happen, and I'm sure quite a few FreeBSD
> users think that this is a Good Thing.  Remember... with djb's
> source the '.c' stands for configuration.

ROTFL

But while were at it, anyone already used MaraDNS (www.maradns.org)?
That
actually is public domain, which can be converted to BSDL, AFAIK, and
then integrated into FreeBSD, no? Judging by the benchmarks on the
site, it's FAST, about double as fast than bind and even triple as
fast than djbdns. But unless you're going to run a root server, this
probably won't be much of a concern anyway. The author also claims
that it
it is  very secure cause he uses an overflow safe string lib.

Best regards,
 Gabriel