Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:25:56 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "James Snow" <snow@teardrop.org>, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Checksum errors across ZFS array

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Snow" <snow@teardrop.org>

>I have a ZFS server on which I've seen periodic checksum errors on
> almost every drive. While scrubbing the pool last night, it began to
> report unrecoverable data errors on a single file.
>
> I compared an md5 of the supposedly corrupted file to an md5 of the
> original copy, stored on different media. They were the same, suggesting
> no corruption.

Had this before, has always turned out to be failing hardware. Its
been a mixture of faults for us:-
1. Memory, even though ECC and not reporting failures in use or
via memtest.
2. CPU / Northbridge on old AMD's, not 100% sure which. This started
as ZFS checksum issues and then weeks / months later resulting in
random untraceable panic and watchdog timeouts in bge nic.
Disabling the cores on the second CPU fixed this for us on two separate
machines e.g.
/boot/loader.conf
hint.lapic.2.disabled="1"
hint.lapic.3.disabled="1"

So while ZFS can report errors on files, that aren't errors on the
disks themselves and hence the data, as you confirmed, is fine don't
ignore it.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.