Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:26:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Carl Johan Madestrand <calle.madestrand@norrgarden.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mysterious audio problem

Hi

Im using a fairly recent build of 4.0 STABLE and lately i've run across
a problem which kinda freaked me out.  Im using the pcm driver with my
SB PCI 128 card and I have a CREATIVE CD1220 IDE CD ROM.

After playing an audio cd for awhile, (this seems to happen just all of
a sudden, i've been in X every time it has happened and i think i'm
pretty sure i was running linux-netscape each time it occured.) What I
start hearing is a sound which could be explained as dropping a pin or a
can on the ground that bounces with a breeze type kind of distortion in
the background.

It should perhaps be noted that every time this has happened I havent
been using any application to play my audio cd's, i've just used the
controls on my drive. This "pindrop sound" continued even after I
removed the disc from the drive and continued every 5 seconds or so,
this sounds like crack smoking yes or something interfering the
speakers.

But the fact is that when this happens /dev/dsp becomes busy and no
other processes can access the sound driver anylonger. Something is
using the sound driver and the only solution seems to be a reboot.

Weird? Yes, but it just keeps happening.

--
- Carl Johan Madestrand <calle.madestrand@norrgarden.se>
- IRC: Lord_CJ