Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 13:00:26 +0100
From:      Gert-Jan Vons <vons@iname.com>
To:        andrew@sign.chg.ru ("Andrew L. Neporada")
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.3-STABLE : Performance problems??

At 05:40 1999-10-25 +0800, Andrew L. Neporada wrote:

>Hi All!
>For a long time I participate in one distributed computational project (
>see http://www.mersenne.org for details). So I'am running a special
>program at low priority (nice=20), that utilizes all CPU power.
>After upgrading from 3.1-RELEASE to 3.3-STABLE I've noticed that average
>performance (averaging period is big enough to eliminate impact from
>other tasks ) of this programm is only 77% from measured
>performance on 3.1R and same hardware.

Same here for the rc5des project (http://www.distributed.net). With FBSD 3.2,
I got ~237KKeys/sec. With FBSD3.3, I'm only seeing ~167KKeys/sec, which is only
~70% of the performance I used to see under FBSD3.2 on the same hardware.

>I also notice some strange thing:
>top shows about 30% 'interrupt' at CPU states line.
>Maybe someone could help me to find out what happens?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not seeing that at all, the interrupt %-age is close to 0% like it used
to be.

For me, the strange thing is that I see this 30% loss on a Cyrix P166+ rev1.7,
but that there is no performance difference whatsoever on an AMD K6-II/300.

I haven't been able to find/get an explanation for this :-/

         Gert-Jan