Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:45:01 -0500
From:      Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: status of laptops?

At 09:12 AM 3/15/96 +1030, you wrote:
>Ron G. Minnich stands accused of saying:
>>
>> i've been wandering all over freebsd.org looking for the laptop of
>> choice. There seem to be more questions than answers, so i thought i'd try
>> this list. I'm after the following:
>> 1) P90
>> 2) 32+ mb ram
>> 3) long battery life -- two batteries if possible. 3+ hours would sure be
>>    nice
>> 4) 800x600x8
>> 5) ethernet card freebsd can deal with
>> 6) and of course the 28.8K modem
>>
>> multimedia not required. it's nice if it is available but if it messes
>> up 1-6 above i'll skip it. Anybody had any luck? is pc card support
>> really here?
>
>I've heard good noises about the Toshiba T410CS; this is one of the units
>I was looking at back when I thought I was going to get one.
>Stock they come with 8M of memory and no ethernet, but they appear to run
>XFree fine and memory is available (if not cheap, then again no notebook
>memory is cheap).
>
>Also from my point of view Toshiba's "worldwide warranty" stuff was a big
>plus.

I haven't tried the Toshibas, but I have a IBM TP755CX which works great.
maxes at 40MB ram, good battery life (especially if you get Lithium Ion).
800x600 (but needs some work to work - see the Linux Xfree(chipset) stuff
for portables).  We use the 3com pcmcia card fine.  Would be great if
we could use the MWAVE stuff for sound and modem, but no joy there.

Have played with the USR sporster28.8 pccard, seems to work.

-k