Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 23:54:27 +0100
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        archie@whistle.com, grog@lemis.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Debug kernel by default? (was: Taking panic dumps (was: 3.1-S TABLE dies on 40+ connects (resolved)))

Unless I misunderstood Greg I think the intention is to always build a debug
kernel without the user really realising that is happening so that when they
have a panic they've got the infrastructure there to let the "support team"
track down the problem.

I think that's a good idea, switch the options around so that by default a
debug kernel is built and provide an option to build a "production" kernel.
I don't think a kernel built with -g is going to be significantly slower or
bigger than a standard kernel once stripped and those after maximum
performance should know how to go about getting it.

The extra disk space for the build would be only problem but given the size
of the code base these days most people who have source will have enough
spare disk to build a debug kernel.

Paul.