Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:42:22 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
To:        ben@efn.org
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ssh vsprintf (was the lame whoose-language is better war)

| > I haven't had chance to look at the ssh code but why would it
| > need to use vsprintf?? And also, why is it installed suid root?
|
| This package installs two programs that need special privileges.  Ssh
| is the client program, and it is by default installed as suid root,
| because it needs to create a privileged port in order to use .rhosts
| files for authentication.  If it is not installed as suid root, it will
| still be usable, but .rhosts authentication will not be available.  Also, the
| private host key file is readable by root only.

Hmm.. Just OOI why would it need to be suid root to read the .rhosts
file? Surely there's a better solution, maybe installing it sgid
within it's own group?

| >Mind you, none of these take input from STDIN or any other
| >means so it would probably be a lot harder to exploit.
|
| On the contrary, if you glance through the ssh code for vsprintf it comes up
| in the sshd and ssh packet creation code, as well as scp.c.  Both of which do
| take input from just about anything, including of course stdin.

I stand corrected - I haven't had chance to look at the source code
yet. Has anyone done an audit on it?

Regards,

Jay Tribick

[| Network Administrator | FastNet International | http://fast.net.uk/ |]