Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 1995 15:03:11 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel versions and config's rm -rf

In message <199509242134.OAA01414@GndRsh.aac.dev.com> you write:
>I like this, it is far more appropriate than an rm -rf, but should be
>reduced even further to just ``make clean; rm *.h'' and the clean: target had
>better do the right things.  No need to rm the Makefile, config is going
>to overwrite it anyway.  I can see the reasoning for rm *.h, as config and
>or files{,.i386} may have changed and not rewrite all the same .h files :-(.

I wanted to end up with as clean a directory as possible.  I thought that
the "rm -rf" was to get around dependency problems, but since I wasn't
absolutely sure I figured I should remove everything that I didn't know
was absolutely fine to keep.

>Start at 0 vs start at 1, well, that is a religous issue.

Fine, I figured it would be, I won't argue it.

>That is not what you said above :-).

As I said, I wanted to be as sure as possible that every potentially "bad"
thing was gone.

>Also what happens if %s does not
>exist??  Or am I missing to much context here and we already know that
>it does exist?

We know that it exists and is a directory.

  Bill