Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 14:00:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        admin <admin@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing FreeBSD against hacking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, admin wrote:

> I am running a FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (recently upgraded machines) for web
> (Apache-1.39)mail (Qmail-1.03 sendmail-8.11.1).  I have recently seen
> some activities on the web server that make me very nervous (I know I
> am being very general) but my concern is:
>
> 1.  How do I setup a dedicated machine to collect data and connection
> attempts to my machines

I'd suggest building a FreeBSD 4-stable machine with SNORT installed and
all the network services turned off.  Get the current SNORT rulelist from
www.snort.org, and configure SNORT to use the current rulelist.  Hook this
machine up to the same network segment and see if SNORT finds anything
unusual.

> 2. How to implement a notification systems to alert when critical
> files on the server have been tampered with.

Someone else suggested that you install and use tripwire on your server
machine, which is a great idea if you know that machine is clean.

> 3. How to find out if my machines are REALY CLEAN (some sort of
> software auditing to determine if what is already in the machines is a
> good benchmark for future security audits)

Use mtree(8) to check the md5 hashes of your system's binaries against the
original 4.2 release (I haven't tried it, but I believe you can run "mtree
-K md5digest" and compare the results against the *.mtree files in the
release).

To make sure the machine is REALLY CLEAN, backup the data, wipe
the disks, reinstall, and reload the data...

Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.
Sr. Software Engineer, Palisade Systems         ---   ghelmer@palisadesys.com