Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:18:04 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Christopher Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble booting current on ARM

Hi Christopherm,,

> On 6 Sep 2023, at 15:23, Christopher Bowman <crb@chrisbowman.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Apologies if this is a duplicate but I didn=E2=80=99t see this come =
out on the list:
>=20
> I=E2=80=99ve been using an Arty-Z7 from Diligent for several years =
now.  This is a AMD/Xilinx ZYNQ based board.  It=E2=80=99s mostly =
similar to a ZED board which has an in tree kernel config.  It has =
worked fine with 13.0.  I=E2=80=99m now looking to mowe my work forward =
and keep pace with the project.  I=E2=80=99d like to eventually upgrade =
to 14.0 when it comes out.  In preparation I built a new release using =
sources from after the 14.0 branch.  I=E2=80=99m able to cross build =
fine but when I boot the kernel I see the crash below,  Has anyone seen =
panic: Storing an invalid VFP state.  Any information or ideas about =
what might be happening before I try to debug?  Any information at all =
would be helpful.
>=20
> Is anyone else running a Zynq based board of any kind with a recent =
14.0 or current kernel?

I don't have any experience as yet but I do have a Zynq board I am =
playing around with so your experience is interesting :)

> panic: Storing an invalid VFP state

Regarding the panic - it is only checked when INVARIANTS is on, so if =
you previously had been using stable it would not be on by default.

ie the problem may have always been present but masked.

I would try #if'ing out the KASSERT in sys/arm64/arm64/vfp.c around line =
190 and see what else breaks.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."