Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:20:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        www@freebsd.org

> Most of us are well aware of many shortcomings, but you input is
> still welcome.  Would you be willing describe more specifically
> what *you* perceive to be problems with the existing search
> facility and what functionality you would like to se implemented?

A thread database.

No matter who bad the initial searching is, one usually gets one
message out of a thread that matters.

Once you have that, a searching not by mesage, but by thread is
possible (at user's option), that means you compute a weight on a
whole-thread basis (hits/thread length or something).

Ideally, the thread identification process should be quite tolerant
and construct a thread by mesage-id's/references *and* subject (while
taking variations like truncates subjects into account), maybe the
amount of tolerance based on user's choice and some "knowledge" about
subjects/maillists combinations that usually don't identify a thread
("Help" "XXX vs. YYYY" etc.).

Martin (I'm very busy, can't help right now)
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>