Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:24:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        proff@iq.org (Julian Assange)
Cc:        phk@critter.dk.tfs.com, hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: o [1997/02/01] bin/2634 rtld patches for easy creation of chroot enviroments

> It would be neat if one could actually use the chroot() facility
> in a secure and efficient manner, without modifying the source for
> main() on every binary in the system. You are right. It would be
> neat. Since when is something being small, fast, secure, neat and
> providing functionality that wouldn't otherwise be there grounds
> for rejection of code? I'm quite apalled at this conservative view,
> expressed without the slightest understanding of the code involved.

I understand your point and partly I do agree. However, seeing the enormous
security hole we found lately in having the setlocale() stuff in ld.so,
ppl are a bit reluctant to modify such a piece of code. I think that is
understandable.

What I do when I want a chroot jail is use a simple program, chrootuid,
that does almost the same. In my opinion, that is a cleaner solution
because whenever something would be broken, it is only this tiny little
program that is broken, instead of *all* binaries. The fact that your code
is probably correct does not change this fact.

Btw: chroouit can be found at ftp.win.tue.nl:/pub/security

-Guido