Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:22:19 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bridging ath

Sam Leffler wrote:
> Randy Bush wrote:
>>> Be sure apbridge is enabled
>>>

>> not running in hostap mode, not an access point
>>

> You can only bridge a wireless card in hostap mode.
Sorry, engage brain before opening mouth.

I don't know what you're trying to do but you're looking in the wrong
place and I suspect you're confused about some stuff.  When you attach
your wired nic to a bridge and and turn the bridge on the nic gets set
in promiscuous mode.  This is likely why you can ping the other wireless
station through the wired nic.  To ping the wireless station through
your AP then AP must either fwd the packet directly or bridge it using
some mechanism.  You cannot bridge a wireless interface unless it's
operating as an ap.  Either way it's an issue at the AP.

You can diagnose all this with tcpdump.

    Sam