Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2018 19:01:39 -0500
From:      Josh Endries <josh@endries.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Puppet SSL-related problems after updating Ruby

I recently updated packages on a 11.0 machine, which upgraded Ruby from
2.3.5 to 2.3.6 (I think), and my Puppet install broke. It is logging
SSL-related issues with this message:

SSL_read: decryption failed or bad record mac

I thought maybe it was a problem with outdated OpenSSL so I updated to
11.1-R-p6 a minute ago, but the problem persists. I did reinstall all
packages after updating and rebooted a few times throughout the process;
followed the handbook.

$ openssl version;uname -a;freebsd-version
OpenSSL 1.0.2k-freebsd 26 Jan 2017
FreeBSD puppet1-test 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14
06:12:40 UTC 2017
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
amd64
11.1-RELEASE-p6

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I could force it to reinstall Ruby
2.3.5, and lock those packages, which worked on 11.0, but I would rather be
able to keep things up to date.

I could possibly try OpenSSL from ports, but is there a way to use that
with Puppet from pkg?