Date:      Sat, 05 Mar 2005 01:12:59 -0800
From:      Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino@speakeasy.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal question for U5

Doug White wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>

>>I hope this is a quickie question:  What can I do to get a usable
>>terminal for sysinstall on a Sun Ultra5, using the default built-in
>>framebuffer attached to a Sun 365-1343 17" color monitor?  I have a
>>perfectly good FreeBSD 5.3 sparc64 CD here which I can't install from
>>because I can't see what I'm doing in sysinstall, because all the
>>available terminal types appear to assume my screen is 80x25.
>

> Use a serial console. Plug in a null-modem cable into the serial port,
> connect the other end to a system of choice, and unplug the sun keyboard
> from the U5. Fire up a terminal emulator on the other system. Boot the U5
> from CD and follow the prompts. If you have another FreeBSD or Linux
> machine you can typically get the color menus to work :)

Thanks.  I suspected something like that might be the case.
Unfortunately, I don't have a working serial-console cable here with me.

> Note that you can't run X on the builtin display anyway so unless you
> particularly like the slow OBP console you'll want to use some other
> method of communication.

Well, I was figuring the box would run headless.  It's tasked to be a
nameserver and not much else at present.  But by the sound of things,
unless I can come up with a working serial console cable, I may have to
rethink what to put on it.

--
 Phil Stracchino
 phil.stracchino@speakeasy.net