Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 06:44:42 -0600
From:      "Tomek" <tomek@mpionline.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Making almost everything non-root

Hello there,
I am attempting to make everything I possibly can non-root. I have a few
questions to that regard.

1. Is there a way to make ports <1024 accessable to non-root programs
(preferably on a per-user basis)? Some programs are set to root JUST to
access a port, which is a lame reason in my opinion to give such access.

2. I am planning on recompiling several "login" style programs to use
limited user-ids instead of root, INCLUDING telnet, and just have a
centralized tiny program "makemeroot" called sometime between obtaining
login info and actually running shells. Is there a way to on-the-fly
make a running PID a different user given the proper login information?

NOTE: I do not understand why programs have not been designed this way.
I know it may be a slight inconvenience for login programs, but until
the user enters root login information, I do not see a strong argument
for giving the program root privileges in the first place.

Thank you,
Tomek