Date:      Sat, 08 Jul 2000 23:01:57 -0700
From:      Kevin Bailey <noone@nowhere.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No /dev/vinum/rstripe

> I'd be interested in what you found in the man page that made you
> think that this would work.

(Again, this is 4.0-RELEASE)

man 4 vinum

MAKING FILE SYSTEMS

...if you have a volume 'concat', use the following commands to create a
ufs file system on it:

# newfs -v /dev/vinum/rconcat

Notice concat -> rconcat. I myself have written drivers which tweaked
the
names of devices. If /dev/vinum/stripe had existed, it would be worth a
try, right ?

> What was the problem?  If you have a crash with Vinum, I want to know
> about it.  You should have a file /var/tmp/vinum_history which
> contains the commands you issued.  Check out
> http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html for further info.

I included /var/tmp/vinum_history in the first email:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2628049+0+current/freebsd-questions

Unfortunately it can't show evocations of newfs and mount
(which were what triggered the crashes.) mount caused a
system crash when I tried to mount vinum0 before I newsf'd
it. I forget which device I ran newfs -v on to cause it to
crash.

I don't consider these crashes to be Vinum's fault at all.
That's what happens when you use newfs and mount incorrectly.

The only improvement I would make is to change the manpages
to say 'newfs -v /dev/vinum/vinumX (where X is the number
Vinum has chosen)' instead of rconcat.