Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:48:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, nate@mt.sri.com, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: regarding our rfork(2)

Nate Williams said:
> John S. Dyson writes:
> [ New shared everything call being added ]
>
> I wrote:
> > > it seems that sharing the stack
> > > is asking for nothing but trouble.
>
> John responds:
>
> > I don't disagree with what you are saying, however, we need to be able
> > to have full access to the stacks in every thread.  Of course, we would
> > be wise to create guard page(s) between stacks.
>
> Why do we need to have access to the stack?  Is it *only* for the thread
> 'kernel' that runs in user-land that does the 'context-switching'
> between the threads, or will each thread have access to another thread's
> stack.  I can definitely see the need for the former, but *NOT* the
> latter.

Actually, both need it.  Otherwise, we will be incompatible with the rest
of the world.

> The great strength about Unix is that another 'process' can'tt muck with
> another 'processes' easily, and with threads I'd like to see this taken
> to whatever extreme as possible given the constraints of implementation.

The threads are a different issue.  I don't disagree with the threads stacks being
isolated for philosophical reasons -- however it is just wrong from a compatibility
standpoint.

If we had a type of thread that had isolated stacks, it would be nice, but that
is a different exercise.

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org