Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 14:30:31 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        tqbf@enteract.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: While we're on the subject...

>> >If euid != uid, then you're running SUID *NOW*.
>> >If euid = 0, then you're running as root *NOW*.
>> >
>> >Why does it matter what you might have been sometime before?  The issue is
>> >what you are running as at the time the call is made, no?
>>
>>    Programs that were once privileged might have read sensitive information
>> into memory which could possibly be read out if some hole were exploited.
>>
>> -DG
>>
>> David Greenman
>> Core-team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project
>
>Sure, but you can't fix that without a flag in the process structure.

   Right, we have P_SUGID that indicates whenever a process might have been
messing with uid/gid's. It's currently set more often than it needs to be,
but this can/will be fixed. At the moment it's used for several things,
preventing core dumps of processes with the flag set is one of them.

-DG

David Greenman