Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 01:41:40 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>, dhw@whistle.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies - "Handle me with care?"

At 09:22 AM 6/24/98 -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:

>Lastly, a reason to "be methodical" is to avoid repeating the same
>mistakes.  If you're not methodical, you have no way to know whether or
>not you're repeating yoruself.  (Then again, when a fellow in the dorm
>room next to mine in college put up the "An unexamined life in not worth
>living" quote on his door, my response was "How could he have known?")

<big grin> to that last portion...

I think it all depends on how an individual's thinking process works.  Some
people do things better in a methodical method, while others seem to do
better being haphazard.  It's like the old "clean desk vs. messy desk"
argument... the clean desk person wonders how the messy desk person can
ever find anything, the messy desk person, after having their desk cleaned
up by someone, complains that they can no longer find where their things
are.  People's brains simply work differently.  I'm the "messy desk" type,
and learn best in a non-methodical, try-anything-until-it-works
environment.  I think it would be impossible to explain how this works and
I remember what I learn to someone  who learns better methodically, just
take my word that it does.

BTW, I always enjoy your Emails David, and appreciate the advice from
someone who's been into Unix in general long enough to have a reasonably
deep understanding of it.  You aren't exactly what I personally would term
a newbie, even with FreeBSD (hell, how could you be, if you're
administering systems for pay in a mostly BSD environment), but it's up to
every individual to label him/herself in that regard, IMO.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.