Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:47:42 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postfix -- auto footers

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 06:26:44PM +0200, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> I question whether this is any kind of job for an MTA for god's sake.
> It's job is to get mail from A to B, not add to message content.

It's job is to get mail from A to B, based on the policy of the
organisation (organisation can be a company, a single user, a small
group of people).

If the policy is that you don't want mail larger than a certain
size, then it's the task of the MTA to block it (doing this with
MUA is not a scalable solution, also it's not under your control).
If the policy is that you don't want to relay mail, then it's the
task of the MTA to reject it (again, MUA is not a scalable solution).
And if you want to add a organisation-specific signature, then this
should be done in the MTA (for the same reasons).

If you don't like the way they're treating your mail, then don't
send mail via that organisation. The question was about a technical
way to implement policies, not discussing wether or not the policy
is good.

Edwin, doesn't like adding of global signatures neither but is in
						favour of good policies.
--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: