Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 01:30:37 +0100
From:      "Chris R." <gurab@lineone.net>
To:        <djv@bedford.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /usr/var

>Ouch. This would be a last resort, in my humble opinion. The best
>places for /tmp and /var are on a separate partion(s). If one partion
>is available then pointing /tmp to /var/tmp makes sense.

why is that a better option?  (excuse my ignorance)

>> # mkdir /usr/var
>> # cd /var
>> # tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
>> # cd /
>> # rm -rf /var
>
>Then you should do:
>
>  # ln -s /usr/var /var

oops, sorry my typing omition there - that is what I did, as per the
book.

>> &
>>
>> # mkdir /usr/tmp
>> # rm -rf /tmp
>> # ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

and that too - but I still get the messages :-(

>Just like this, in other words.
>
>A small question, how did /var get so full?
>
>Dave
>--

I use the Freebsd machine as an FTP server for a small windows 95 / NT
network - I just uploaded too many files I guess and it started
returning the lack of space errors and refusing any more files.

Chris R.