Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:47:57 +1030 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/9690: Multiple problems installing TeX port

>Number:         9690
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Multiple problems installing TeX port
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	Any FreeBSD system

	1: Installing recent versions of the TeX port fails:

	   TEXMFCNF=../kpathsea TEXMF=/usr/local/share/texmf ./tex --ini \\input plain \\dump </dev/null
	   ! tex.pool doesn't match; tangle me again (or fix the path).
	   gmake[1]: *** [tex.fmt] Error 1
	   gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/T/FreeBSD/print/tex/work/web2c-7.1/web2c'

	   At this point, the port has not written anything to
	   /usr/local/share/texmf.  It has a (presumably valid) tex.pool
	   in the build tree, so it shouldn't be accessing it anyway.

	2: Despite this error, the port is marked as installed.  Not
	   even a FORCE_PKG_REGISTER can entice it to reinstall the
	   package.

	3: The port does not offer any environment variables.  Without
	   setting the variables, TeX will not work.  It should at
	   least suggest something at the end of the installation
	   procedure.

	4: ``make clean'' also cleans gmake-3.77.  It shouldn't.

>How-To-Repeat:

	# cd /usr/ports/print/tex
	# make all install

>Fix: