Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:16:49 +0300
From:      Dan Naumov <dan.naumov@gmail.com>
To:        cooper <bo.coopci@i-waihui.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how is multipath information stored

This is a really wild guess (so correct me if I am wrong), but I would
guess this information is stored as metadata inside the geom provider
after you have initialized it, so on boot, GEOM searches for any
providers attached, reads their metadata and loads them accordingly.
What has me curious though is what happens if you, for example, swap a
few disks around so your (for example) /dev/ad1 "this boot" isn't the
same as the /dev/ad1 the previous time. Are GEOM labels unique? If
they are, it is obviously possible for GEOM to transparently restore
your configuration after you have changed your disk configuration. But
if they aren't, it could be quite a pain in certain situations...

- Dan Naumov